City of Suwanee Historic Timeline
|Pre-1700s||Shawnee Indians live along Suwanee Creek near the Chattahoochee River. By the late 1700s, Cherokee and Creek Indians also inhabit the village.|
|1817||Cherokee Indians relinquish Suwanee Old Town area.|
|1818||“Suwannee old town” mentioned as part of a treaty document with Creek Indians.|
|1837||City of Suwanee is founded with establishment of a U.S. post office. This marks the first time that the Town of Suwanee is recognized by the U.S. government. James Brown is Suwanee’s first postmaster.|
|1871||Georgia Air Line Railroad line from Charlotte to Atlanta is built through Suwanee.|
|1880||Rhodes House is constructed. In the early 20th century, the house served as a hotel for railroad passengers, traveling salesmen, doctors, and teachers.
Earliest known date for Suwanee High School, a one-room schoolhouse with students ages 4-16 located at King and Davis streets.
Population is 216.
|1881||Fire destroys all stores on Main Street, save one.
Richmond & Danville Railroad completes a narrow gauge railroad line from Suwanee to Lawrenceville.
|1883||John Brogdon begins rebuilding what will become the largest store between Atlanta and Gainesville.|
|1900||Population is 246.|
|1910||The building most recently known as Pierce’s Corner is constructed. The building has served as a general store, cotton gin, silent movie theater, dentist’s office, and antique store.|
|1920||Population is 241.|
|1921||Armed robbers hold up the Bank of Suwanee, located on Main Street.|
|1923||Sanborne company creates a map of Suwanee that depicts every structure in town.|
|1933-36||Georgia Highway 23 (Buford Highway) is paved through the Works Progress Administration program.|
|Late 1930s||Farming declines.|
|1949||City of Suwanee is incorporated on February 25.|
|1953||Many improvements are made throughout the post-World War II town of about 350 as part of the Better Hometown/ Hometown Champion contest.|
|1953-54||A City water tank is constructed and Suwanee’s water system is installed.|
|Mid 1950s||Highway 317 (Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road) is paved.|
|1958||North Gwinnett High School opens.|
|1960||I-85 is extended to Suwanee, where it ends.|
|1960s||Suwanee Creek frequently runs black due to processing waste dumped by the Bona Allen Tannery in Buford.|
|Early 1960s||City Hall on Highway 23 opens.|
|1965||Police Chief James Knick is killed in the line of duty.Suwanee Lake, Suwanee's first subdivision, is constructed.|
|Mid 1960s||Everett Brothers begin Saturday night bluegrass concerts, beginning a 40-year tradition.|
|1969||Annandale Village opens.|
|1970||The Suwanee Police Department is alleged to operate a speed trap, according to local newspaper articles.
Population is 615.
|Mid 1970s||Several stores in Old Town are closed.|
|1978||Atlanta Falcons open state-of-the-art training camp.|
|1980||Gwinnett County takes over Suwanee's volunteer fire department.
Population is 1,250.
|1981||Voters on April 4 pass a referendum making Suwanee the first Gwinnett County city to legalize alcoholic beverage sales by the drink.|
|1984||First Suwanee Day festival.
George Pierce Park is constructed.
|1985||First traffic signal within the City limits is installed at Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road and Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.|
|1986||Groundbreaking for Suwanee Elementary School on Smithtown Road.|
|1990||Suwanee is designated a Tree City USA for the first time.
Suwanee Day is moved from a May celebration to September.
Population is 2,412.
|1991||Gwinnett County extends sewer lines into Suwanee.|
|Early 1990s||Red caboose is obtained and placed in Old Town.Richard Trice Trail is constructed.|
|1994||First Caboose Lighting event is held in Old Town.|
|1996||Suwanee Day festival moves from property adjacent to City Hall to Old Town.|
|1997||New City Hall, on the south side of fire station on Highway 23, opens.
First City Administrator, Hardin Watkins, is hired.
|1998||City website, www.suwanee.com, goes live.|
|1999||Suwanee Business Alliance is established.
Main Street Park opens; Burnette-Rogers Pavilion is dedicated in December.
|2000||Suwanee Police Department earns statewide certification from the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police.
Suwanee 2020 Comprehensive Plan is adopted.
Atlanta Falcons fly the coop for Flowery Branch.
Brogdon Place, the first new building to be constructed in historic Old Town in 50 years, opens.
Town of Suwanee, Georgia: Early History, by resident Richard Plumer, is published.
Population is 8,725.
|2001||Downtown Development Authority is established.
On Nov. 6, residents vote overwhelmingly in support of a $17.7 million bond referendum for open space, parks, and trails.
|2002||Old Town Master Plan is adopted.
City's first annual report is published.
|2003||Suwanee is named a City of Excellence by the Georgia Municipal Association and Georgia Trend Magazine.
First Suwanee-Duluth Farmers Market held on Saturdays throughout the summer.
|2004||Suwanee opens four parks within a 10-month period: Suwanee Creek Greenway 3-mile extension, PlayTown Suwanee, Suwanee Creek Park, and Town Center Park (which opened in December 2003).
More than 1,200 community volunteers build PlayTown Suwanee, a super playground, in just 5 days, June 9-13.
Shawn Mullins highlights grand opening concert at Town Center Park on August 14.
Suwanee Day moves to Town Center Park.
Suwanee Branch of Gwinnett County Public Library opens in October.
|2005||New water tank is installed as part of water system enhancements.
Suwanee DDA purchases Pierce's Corner Antiques in historic Old Town.
Much of the information above for years prior to 1920 came from Richard Plumer’s Town of Suwanee Georgia: Early History.