City Council candidate requirements
Suwanee City Councilmembers run for specific posts, but each is elected to a four-year term by a Citywide vote. Terms of office begin January 1 following the election.
In order to run for City Council, candidates must:
- be a Suwanee resident for at least 180 days prior to qualifying
- continue to reside in the City throughout their period of service
- be qualified to vote in municipal elections.
Voting Information and Requirements
In order to vote in national, state, and local elections, you must register to vote with the State of Georgia. You should register or re-register if you:
- have moved to Georgia from another state
- are moving from one address in Georgia to another
- are changing your name
To register to vote, you must be:
- a citizen of the United States
- a legal resident of Georgia
- at least 17.5 years (at least 18 to vote)
- not serving a sentence for conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude
- not found mentally incompetent by a judge
Voter registration is available at City Hall, public library branches, and the Gwinnett County Elections Office at 455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200, in Lawrenceville. The voter registration form also is available at the Georgia Secretary of State's website. You may verify your voter registration at the My Voter Page.
Click here for information about advance voting locations. For additional voting and election information, contact City Hall at 770-945-8996 or the Office of the Secretary of State at 404-656-2881.