The City of Suwanee requires building permits prior to construction or remodeling activity in order to help protect and maintain the health, welfare, and safety of our citizens and business patrons. Building permits ensure that proper inspections are performed; the inspections, in turn, verify that construction or remodeling of a residence or business complies with code requirements. (See list of codes below.)
Permits are required for any work undertaken to construct, enlarge, alter, or repair any structure as well as for changes to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or other mechanical systems. These activities include all new construction as well as room additions; basement, attic, or garage finishes; moving walls; water heater replacement; electric service replacement; construction of decks over 30 inches in height; and accessory buildings larger than 120 square feet, to name a few. Building permits are not required for minor repair, cabinetry, painting, etc.
Prior to starting a project, it’s a good idea to call the inspections department at 770/904-2798; our staff can help determine whether or not a project requires a building permit.
For a list of requirements, click on the link that most closely matches your project.
- New commercial
- Commercial interior finish/remodel/addition
- New residential
- Residential addition/remodel
- Erosion Control Affidavit
- Permit Application (including Electric, Plumbing, or HVAC only projects)
- Moving and Demolition of Buildings Permit
- Subcontractor Affidavit
- Temporary to Permanent Power Affidavit
- Energy Code Compliance Certificate
- Authorized Permit Agent Form
- Water Meter Request
The City of Suwanee adheres to the following codes:
- International Building Code, 2006*
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2009*
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2006*
- International Mechanical Code, 2006*
- International Plumbing Code, 2006*
- International Residential Code, 2006*
- International Property Maintenance Code, 2009**
- National Electric Code, 2011
*With Georgia amendments
**With Georgia and Suwanee amendments
For more information about building permits and inspections, call 770/945-8996. To request an inspection, please call 678/546-2123 or email email@example.com.