Promote your business with an attractive, legal sign as exemplified by the one above.
Say it with a (legal) sign
City of Suwanee ordinances regulate the size, number, location, and construction of signs within the City limits in order to provide safe operating conditions for pedestrians and vehicular traffic and to balance legitimate business and development needs with a safe and aesthetically attractive environment.
Some signs are not allowed within the City limits of Suwanee. These include:
- signs with blinking, scrolling, flashing, or fluctuating lights or other means not providing constant illumination
- roof signs
- inflatable signs or devices (not applicable to inflatable play equipment)
- wind- or air-activated signs
- signs attached to any utility pole, traffic device, tree, rock, or shrubbery
- signs located on public rights-of-way
- electronic message signs
- portable signs
- pole or pylon signs
- dilapidated signs
- back-lit awning signs
A permit is required before any permanent sign may be erected. All signs must be in conformance with the City’s sign standards. Please refer to the City of Suwanee’s Sign Ordinance, which can be found in chapter 16 of the City’s Zoning Ordinance for information related to size, number, location, and permitting requirements.
These types of signs are illegal when placed within public rights-of-way in the City of Suwanee.
Temporary Advertising Devices
Temporary advertising devices, such as banners and flags, are allowed after first obtaining a temporary advertising device permit from the City. These devices are subject to the following restrictions:
- Temporary advertising devices (banners, flags, pennants, temporary signs, etc.) are permitted on private property only.
- At no time may any advertising device be placed in or on any right-of-way, utility pole, tree, or traffic control device.
- Each business owner may obtain permits for up to two temporary advertising devices at a time for a period not to exceed 30 days, up to three times annually.
- During a grand opening, one additional permit may be obtained for the display of up to two temporary advertising devices for no more than five (5) days prior to opening and no longer than 30 days after the date of the opening.
- On a multi-tenant property:
- Temporary advertising devices are to be displayed no further than 10 feet from the applicant’s leased space.
- Only the property owner or property manager may obtain a temporary advertising device permit for the common area of any parcel. Permits for common areas are subject to the same regulations as other temporary advertising permits.
Permit Application and Fees
Permanent Wall Sign - $75 plus $15 review fee
Monument Sign - $150 plus $15 review fee
Temporary Advertising Device - $35
All fees must be paid in cash or check made payable to City of Suwanee.
For more information, please contact the inspections department at 770/945-8996 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.