Art: It's Not Just for Walls Anymore
The City of Suwanee is committed to supporting public art as a means of enhancing residents' quality of life as well as creating a colorful and unique sense of identity and place. Suwanee's public art initiative:
- Distinguishes Suwanee as an artful destination
- Supports a diverse and thriving economy
- Attracts top-notch creative talent
- Brings visitors to Town Center
- Creates a more connected community
Through the City Council-appointed Public Arts Commission, the City of Suwanee creates and promotes programs that bring public art to the community. In addition, the commission works with developers to include public art as part of new projects, encouraging them to donate one percent of construction costs to public art on their site or elsewhere in the city.
- See the Guide for Developers.
'Art for All'
'Art for All' seeks to raise $1.25 million in private contributions to support the inclusion of three new public art pieces in the Town Center Park Expansion.
Suwanee's Walkable Public Art Encounter
Through sponsorships and private donations, Suwanee SculpTour brings a variety of sculptures to downtown Suwanee on a rotating basis. The program also helps to grow Suwanee's permanent public art collection as typically at least one sculpture from each SculpTour is purchased, again using privately donated funds.
The City Council-appointed Public Arts Commission was established to create programs that bring and promote public art in Suwanee and to work with and encourage developers to use one percent of construction costs to include public art or support public art as a component of new projects.
Among the duties of the Public Arts Commission are:
- Coordinating the developer component of suwanee's public arts initiative.
- Developing and coordinating the suwanee sculptour program.
- Developing a citywide public art master plan.
- Recommending public artwork pieces on behalf of the city of suwanee.
- Acquiring art.
Public Arts Commission Members are:
- Chair – Lisa Winton
- Vice Chair – Cherie Heringer
- Scott Auer
- Bernie Kirkland
- Sean Mulligan
- Keith Nabb
In 2015, the City facilitated the development of a public art master plan. City Hall staff, consultants and an advisory committee that included members of the Public Arts Commission (as well as numerous other civic leaders) worked together to create a plan to set a vision and develop a ten-year strategy that would help take public art in Suwanee to the next level.
- Click here to view the Public Art Master Plan.