The City of Suwanee requires building permits prior to construction or remodeling activity in order to help protect and maintain the health, welfare, and safety of our citizens and business patrons. Building permits ensure that proper inspections are performed; the inspections, in turn, verify that construction or remodeling of a residence or business complies with code requirements. (See list of codes below.)
Permits are required for any work undertaken to construct, enlarge, alter, or repair any structure (including re-roofs) as well as for changes to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or other mechanical systems. These activities include all new construction as well as room additions; basement, attic, or garage finishes; moving walls; water heater replacement; electric service replacement; construction of decks over 30 inches in height; and accessory buildings larger than 200 square feet, to name a few. Building permits are not required for minor repair, cabinetry, painting, etc.
Prior to starting a project, it’s a good idea to call the inspections department at 770-945-8996 or by email; our staff can help determine whether or not a project requires a building permit.
For a checklist of requirements, click on the link that most closely matches your project.
- New commercial
- Commercial addition/renovation
- New residential
- Residential renovation/addition/re-roof
- Authorized Permit Agent Form
- Energy Code Compliance Certificate
- Erosion Control Affidavit
- Fee Schedule
- Georgia Prescriptive Deck Details
- Homeowner Affidavit
- Permit Application
- Pool Permitting Requirements
- Residential Deck Permitting
- Subcontractor Affidavit
- Temporary to Permanent Power Affidavit
- Water Meter Request
The following codes have been adopted by the City of Suwanee:
- International Building Code, 2012*
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2009*
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2012*
- International Mechanical Code, 2012*
- International Plumbing Code, 2012*
- International Residential Code, 2012*
- International Property Maintenance Code, 2012*
- National Electrical Code, 2017
*With Georgia and Suwanee amendments.
Please email to request an inspection. For more information about building permits and inspections, call 770-945-8996.